From the Swedish Club NW, to Twirl Café and other local businesses, there are some fun Queen Anne events for families this month…
- Wednesdays in May – Wine Wednesday Tastings at Twirl Café: Enjoy three hand-selected wines from rotating regions! This weekly event at Twirl Café is from 5 – 8 p.m. and costs $5 per tasting. Half priced wines by the bottle (select variety) will be available for purchase as well.
- Fridays in May – Movie & Pizza Night at Twirl Café: Rotating pizzas and movie snacks will be available at Twirl’s weekly movie and pizza night. From 5 – 8 p.m. on Fridays, Twirl will serving pizza and dinner specials for a $7 rotating pizza selection, or $4 cheese pizza. They be playing a G-rated movie (movie starts at 6 p.m.) presented by Video Isle, and kids are encouraged to wear their PJs.
- May 2 – First Friday Jazz in May at the Swedish Club NW: The Swedish Club hosts a fun jazz night on the first Friday of each month, and it’s on May 2nd this time around! Enjoy tunes from Rat City Brass as they play Herb Alpert hits! The event begins at 7:30 p.m.
- May 3 – Heritage Choir Festival at the Swedish Club NW: Chorus groups from around the region will be performing on May 3rd at 2 p.m. at our Swedish Club Northwest on Queen Anne. Enjoy the Norwegian Male Chorus of Seattle, Norwegian Ladies’ Choir of Seattle, the Finnish Chorale Society, two Swedish choirs from Portland, an Estonian choir, the Gesangverein Arion German choir, the Svea Male Chorus and the Swedish Women’s Chorus from Seattle. $10 donation requested.
- May 4 – Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month Celebration: Featuring Lions Ambition, the Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month Celebration is coming up on May 4th, free at the Seattle Center Armory from 11:45 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- May 9 – 35th Annual Career Fair for WA Women in Trades: With 35 years of connecting women with non-traditional opportunities, inspiring students, and supporting & mentoring working tradeswomen, the Annual Washington Women in Trades Career Fair is coming up on May 9th from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Seattle Center’s Fisher Pavilion.
- May 10– Celebration of West African Culture: With live performances, a fashion show, an African marketplace, music, dance, art, workshops and traditional food, there will be an exciting Celebration of West African Culture at the Seattle Center Armory on Saturday, May 10th from noon until 8 p.m.
- May 11 – Seattle 2014 Color Run: The craziest 5K race is back! Seattle’s Color Run will take place on Sunday, May 11th. The start line window opens at 8 a.m. The race goes from the Seattle Center through Downtown and back again, to finish at the Space Needle with lots more fun.
- May 14 – May Queen Anne Book Co. Storytime at Twirl: On the second Wednesday of every month, Tegan from the Queen Anne Book Co. does a FREE storytime at Twirl Café! Come join us for this fun event for kids of all ages on May 14th from 10 – 10:30 a.m.
- May 15 – Queen Anne Chamber of Commerce May Luncheon: The Greater Queen Anne Chamber of Commerce meets on the third Thursday of every month. Join the chamber guests and members for networking with other Queen Anne business owners, updates on the events and happenings within the chamber and neighborhood, and words from an occasional speaker. The luncheon takes place at the Best Western Plus Executive Inn at 200 Taylor Ave. N, from 11:15 to 1:00 p.m. on May 15th. The cost is $25 for members, $30 for non-members. RSVP required, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 17 – A Glimpse of China Festival: Enter Seattle’s own Chinese garden and experience cultural traditions featuring 5,000 years of China’s history in this celebration of one of the world’s oldest cultures. “A Glimpse of China” explores the rich traditions of China’s dance, music, martial arts and brilliant costumes on May 17th, starting at 11 a.m. at the Seattle Center’s Armory and Center House Stage.
- May 21 – Date Night at the SkyCity: Enjoy complimentary valet parking and one entrée for 50 percent off when you dine at the Space Needle’s SkyCity restaurant on May 21st, in their monthly Date Night.
- May 23-26 – 43rd Annual Northwest Folklife Festival: Coming up May 23rd through 26th, it’s the 43rd Annual Northwest Folklife Festival at the Seattle Center! With live music, activities, booths, food trucks and more, the Seattle area celebrates music and diversity with this fun annual festival.
- May 31 – May Mimosa Brunch at Twirl Café: On the last Saturday of each month, Twirl Café is holding a fun Mimosa Brunch with a food special! French Toast with berry compote is the food special for the May 31st event, with a mimosa on the side (alcoholic or non). Regular play admission is free when you spend $20+ on food and beverages.
Featured photo from TheColorRun.com.